|An anthology of uncanny short stories to read late at night when you’re all alone. Read stories about a very special birthday party, a memorable farmer’s daughter, a collector of unique collectables, the investigation of a Romanian strigoi, an unintended consequence of using voodoo dolls for revenge, an arsonist considering working at a crematorium, and what to do with a man who summons the Beast.
Many reviewers compare the stories favorably to episodes of the TV series: The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Tales of the Unexpected, Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Inside Number 9.
“Even though the lack of footprints proved I was alone, I couldn’t help feeling that I was being watched from those shadows, that something glared at me with malice and resented my intrusion into its dark domain.” – from “The Haunting of the Ederescu House”
Get It Now
- Her Mother’s Eyes: A short prose poem
- The Collector: A collector of miniature ceramic buildings makes a unique find at an out-of-the-way antique shop.
- Grandma Buford’s Birthday: Grandma Buford prepares for her 97th birthday party.
- The Farmer’s Daughter: A snowstorm forces a college student to spend the night at an isolated farm house.
- The Haunting of the Ederescu House: A paranormal investigator spends the night at a house where multiple murders and a suicide took place.
- Madam Kaldunya’s Dolls: A young woman learns the cost of using voodoo dolls for revenge.
- Billy the Arsonist: An arsonist breaks into a crematorium.
- The Vow: A poem about what to do with a man who releases the Beast.
Praise for A Cauldron of Uncanny Reviews
Amy Shannon – Amy’s Bookshelf Reviews
“This collection of innovative thinking (or uncanny dreams) by Firesmith is a remarkable work… The words almost haunted the pages… I loved reading all of the unique stories… This book is a definite recommendation by Amy’s Bookshelf Reviews.” Original review
“A Cauldron of Uncanny Dreams is a great collection of short stories. I recommend it!” Original review
B’S Thought Pad and Book Space
“These stories… are a window into an alternative state of being. Definitely a collection for those that enjoy the questions of what lies in the dark corners or just beyond the reach of the headlights on a cold, dark night.” Original review
Ye Olde Bookworm
“A Cauldron of Uncanny Dreams by Donald Firesmith is your classic shouldn’t read before bedtime rush. A fun read, and I look forward to reading more of Firesmith’s work in the future.” Original review
- Amazon* (26 Reviews, 4.6 Stars) US-17, UK-9, AU-2, CA-1, and IN-0
- Barnes & Noble (1 Reviews, 5 Stars)
- Goodreads (44 Reviews, 47 Ratings, 4.4 Stars)
- iBooks (0 Review, 0 Ratings, TBD Stars)
- Smashwords (0 Reviews, TBD Stars)
Publisher: Magical Wand Press
Edition: First edition
Publication Date: 6 December 2020
Formats: Paperback and ebook (epub, mobi, and pdf)
Cataloging in Publication (CIP) Data Block
Name: Firesmith, Donald.
Title: A Cauldron of Uncanny Dreams / by Donald Firesmith.
Description: First edition. | Pittsburgh : Magical Wand Press, 2020.
Summary: An anthology of spooky short stories. | Audience: Adult. | Language: English
Identifiers: ISBN: 979-8566545042 ASIN B08PRPX9N4 (Amazon paperback) | ASIN B08P9BTQ9S (Amazon ebook) | 978-1005671334 (Smashwords ebook)
Subjects: BISAC: FICTION / Occult & Supernatural. | Fiction / Horror. | LCSH: American–Fantasy–Fiction. | American–Paranormal–Fiction. | GSAFD: Horror fiction. | Occult fiction. | Fantasy fiction.