Demons and other mythological monsters are actually aliens, Hell is their homeworld, and their magical powers are actually alien technology.
When a strange hole opens up in the Arctic and ravenous demons emerge, a scientist, his wife, and a member of an ancient secret order must team up to close the hole and save humanity.
- Science Fiction – Alien Invasion
Mystery followed by terror
Current day North Slope of Alaska
Central Character: Dr. Jack Oswald (geology professor)
- Character Flaw: Jack has built an emotional wall to protect himself from being hurt again after his son’s death, leading to his estrangement from his wife.
- Growth: Jack has opened up and allowed himself to love again.
- Angela Menendez (ex-wife / love interest)
- Mark Starr (graduate student / comic relief)
- Aileen O’Shannon (demon hunter / kick-as female character)
- Kathryn Neuhausen (ex-army personal security / kick-ass female character)
Opposition Character: HellPoole (Pastor Poole and alien leader)
- Hellhounds (alien monsters / demons)
- Mordecai Blackwell (oil company CEO / collaborator)
- Kevin Kowalski (oil company middle manager)
- Plot: Jack investigates a mysterious hole that is a portal enabling alien demons to invade Earth.
- Goal: To understand the mysterious hole and survive the subsequent invasion
- Need: To kill the demons and protect Earth by closing the portal to Hell
- Worst Outcome: Alien invasion succeeds
- Obligatory Questions: What created the hole? Who will survive?
- Message/Moral: An ordinary man faced with extraordinary dangers can rise meet them.
- Plot: Jack learns to forgive himself for the accidental death of his son, let down his protective walls, and allow himself to fall in love again with his ex-wife.
- Goal: To protect others (especially Angela, his ex-wife) from danger
- Need: To forgive himself and open up to love
- Worst Outcome: To lose Angela a second time
- Obligatory Question: Will Jack and Angela get back together?
- Message/Moral: A man who has walled himself off can learn to open himself to love again.
Prologue (2 pages: 1-2)
- Backstory: Jack Oswald and Angela Menendez’s son, Ben, dies in a tragic accident, which leads to their subsequent estrangement and separation.
Act I (21 pages: 3-24)
- Catalyst: Jack agrees to travel to the North Slope to investigate the strange hole.
Act II (84 pages: 24-108)
- Big Event: Jack and Mark enter the hell hole for the first time.
- Midpoint (Pinch): Reverend Poole reveals himself to be HellPoole, the devil master of the hellhounds.
- Critical Decision: Jack decides he must leave Angela to close the hell hole.
Act III (8 pages: 109-116)
- Crisis: Jack leaves on a suicide mission to save the world (and Angela) by closing the hell hole.
- Climax (Showdown): Jack, Aileen, and Angela fight against HellPoole to close the hell hole.
- Realization: Jack and Angela’s fly to Fairbanks and safety.
- Sequel Hook: Dozens of new hell holes open up.