A computer geek by day, Donald Firesmith works as a system and software engineer helping the US Government acquire large, complex software-intensive systems. In this guise, he has authored seven technical books, written numerous software- and system-related articles and papers, and spoken at more conferences than he can possibly remember. He is also proud to have been named a Distinguished Engineer by the Association of Computing Machinery, although his pride is tempered somewhat worrying whether the term “distinguished” makes him sound more like a graybeard academic rather than an active engineer whose beard is still more red than gray.
By night and on weekends, his alter ego writes modern paranormal fantasy, apocalyptic science fiction, action and adventure novels and relaxes by handcrafting magic wands from various magical woods and mystical gemstones. His first foray into fiction is the book Magical Wands: A Cornucopia of Wand Lore written under the pen name Wolfrick Ignatius Feuerschmied. He lives in Crafton, Pennsylvania with his wife Becky, his son Dane, and varying numbers of dogs and cats.
You can learn more about him by visiting his personal website.
His magical wands and autographed copies of his books are available at Firesmith’s Wand Shoppe.
Five Fun Facts
- I was a student member of the American Nuclear Society, operated a Triga Mark III pool reactor, and once stood INSIDE a nuclear reactor core, specifically the core of the Zero Power Plutonium Reactor (ZPPR).
- I stood at the snow line of Mount St. Helens three days before it blew.
- I have been a lexicographer (a person who compiles a dictionary).
- I have traveled to 32 countries.
- I once had a dancing blind-folded man with a sword slice a watermelon in two on my naked stomach.
Check out my author pages on:
Reviewers of the Hell Holes series have compared my writing to that of the following famous authors. If you like their books, you might also like mine:
|Dan Brown (Thriller)||1|
|Michael Crichton (Science Fiction, Thriller)||3|
|Clive Cussler (Thriller)||1|
|Rider Haggard (Adventure)||1|
|Stephen King (Horror)||2|
|Dean R. Koontz (Suspense, Thriller)||2|
|Mathew Reilly (Action, Thriller)||1|
|James Rollins (Action, Mystery, Thriller)||1|
|J.K. Rowling (Fantasy)||4|